Thursday, April 15, 2010

Like Dangling a Carrot in Front of a Horse

My ideal job right now would reflect my knowledge. My resume boasts years of administrative, retail management, and sales and marketing experience. I also have a college diploma, and have worked in the fashion business field. Thus, my ultimate job right now would be in the fashion industry, and would allow me a bit of room for creativity, and definitely room for growth. Buyer, merchandiser, things like that. Even a stylist. I won’t, however, work in a retail store as a sales associate.
I had applied for a position that seemed perfect. I think I might have even applied twice! I was ecstatic when this company contacted me for a meeting; but when I emailed back to confirm, I received no response. The day following the original interview, they contacted me again to apologize and reschedule. The opening is for an Assistant Buyer / Fit Model within a major company, that has hundreds of locations across North America. The job posting online describes familiar duties for a buyer, as well as a list of requirements which I surpass. I am very confident in a position like this, but I am absolutely not a model. Nonetheless, I’ve learned from my past in this industry that these are not actual models, but Fit models, which are mainly for trying samples to evaluate the fit and material. And since the description itself did not stress the Model role like it did the Buyer’s – all it said was “wear a size 5 in ladies clothing” – I felt no reason to feel intimidated going to this interview. I figured if I was confident and showed my enthusiasm and experience, the interviewer would recognize it.
Turns out it wasn’t even an interview, but rather, a fitting. I was rushed in and out; I tried on a pair of black skinny jeans and a black button up tunic, both size 5, and had it off in 2 minutes. The sample clothing was too big and long, and after reviewing the fit on me, the assistant said, “Thanks. We’ll let you know.”
Where was my interview? Where’s the part when I brag about all my experience? I even had an answer for my least favourite interview question, which is almost guaranteed every time an employer and a potential candidate sit down together: “what would you say is your worst quality?” I’ve never been more prepared for a job interview as I was today, specifically because I wanted this one so bad. I would even take it if it offered me cheese for a salary. I just wish they had stated in their job posting that this position was mainly for a fit model, and the assistant buyer role was secondary. Its über frustrating to have someone contact me about my ideal profession, only to deny me an actual interview. It’s exactly like the title of this post.
Oh well. What can I do. I guess its back to the search.
Aside from this one, I’ve had one other employment agency and a couple of sales positions contact me. I haven’t had a full day in front of the computer this week (that’s why it took so long to get this post up), so tomorrow daytime will be reserved for job searching and applying online.
On another note, Last Friday I went to work all burnt and damaged, if anyone recalls the last entry. It actually went a lot better than I thought it would, probably because I had my regulars there. However I did have one issue. The DJ convinced me to go on stage; I had been hesitant because of my burn marks. That turned out to be a big mistake. I ended up rubbing my forearms against the pole, and peeling the scab off three of the massive blisters, and it hurt like a motherfu…
By now though, I am starting to heal very nicely.
Yet another note: I think I’m back with my sometime boyfriend.
It’s impossible to shake him. I have absolutely no will power there. We’re fine most of the time, but we argue every time I go to work. The funny thing is, he has no problem with the business when I'm not working - he'll even suggest I go sometimes. But as soon as that first hour is up, I start recieving nasty texts from him; and by end of my shift, it's "I don't know if I can date a stripper." Boo hoo. Suck it up, because it's the same thing every time I go.
So here are my goals for next week: Get a job; get a job; and get a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment