Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Difficulty Dating - When You're a Dancer!

This past Monday was the first interview I sat through in probably seven years. They were very interested, and have since contacted me with a job offer for an office administrative type position. Fortunately for me, I have a pretty decent resume – years of experience, some educational background, and reputable references. This cannot be said for all dancers. Many started the business at such a young age they never even entered the workforce; some girls have been doing this for so long their past experiences are no longer applicable; and some simply have empty teenage resumes, with which it is virtually impossible to build a career.
Anyways, this job is far from what I am hoping for… and one-fifth the income I’d make were I dancing full time. Pass.
Then today, I went to another interview for a front office management position. It’s not much different, but the pay is a wee bit better. A wee bit. After struggling in traffic to get downtown, paying ten dollars for parking and walking another eight minutes, I arrived promptly at 12:58 pm for my one o’ clock interview in my nice Bebe dress pants and satin peacock blue button up – only to realize it was not the company itself I was meeting with, but rather an employment agency. Ummm… ok fine. “Just give it a try,” I told myself. After all I was already there. They put me in a room, left a stack of paperwork, and – get this – LEFT ME FOR AN HOUR! I don’t know, am I missing something here? Is this how it usually works?
The problem being a dancer is we measure time wasted monetarily. I automatically said to myself, “I’ve wasted nearly 2 hours and this interview still hasn’t started… I could’ve made a couple hundred during that time!”
So at the one-hour mark, I got my stuff together, wrote a sweet note (“Sorry I had to go, I didn’t realize this was a two hour process…”) and left.
I know I shouldn’t be so picky, demanding, difficult, high maintenance (whatever you want to call it), but it’s very hard to settle when I know I could be making so much more.
So I guess it’s back to the drawing board. I will continue to go online everyday and find me a job!
On a personal note, I tried these past couple of days to leave my bf. I guess I’m not trying that hard. I’m still crazy about him, but I’ve made it clear that I don’t want anything more than a friendship. At least until we both get our shit together (that last sentence just reminded me of something: I have got to stop swearing if I am to reenter the workforce!). I’m determined to be proactive and productive this year, and being in a difficult relationship will only delay my progress.
Speaking of dating, I would like to share my thoughts on why it is so hard for girls like me to be in a normal relationship.


The Difficulty Dating – When You’re a Dancer!

I’ll keep this as short and sweet as possible, because there’s a lot to be said.
It’s hard enough for any women to find a good man. But us dancers face a few added obstacles. First off, I have to say that as an exotic dancer, our choices are already limited, as many men wouldn’t even consider actually dating one. In my experiences, the majority of men who do date us fall into one (or more) of three categories:

1.The so-called Pimp
Whether the term is self-coined or denied, these men find out you’re a dancer and assume you make good money, or can at least. This category in itself has a number of sub-categories, but I’ll keep it simple. Some of these men try to convince you your money is better off with them; and some are just BUMS, always throwing at you that you make good tax-free cash, thus guilting you into always being the one to spend.

2.The Horndog
These men, for the most part, stereotype all strippers to be over sexual, wild and easy. Whether they’re willing to pay for it or not, they always assume that: a) its attainable, and that its just a matter of how, or how much, b) that’s all you have to offer and c) that essentially you’re the type of girl they have sex with, not bring home to momma.

3.The Knight in Shining Armour (that nobody asked for)
These ones are my personal favourite. They genuinely care about you, or at least an image of you. Sometimes they even fall in love, or think they do, with you or your persona. The problem however is usually one of two things: they feel the need to be a hero and “rescue” you from the business, whether you want it or not; or they get fed up (and sometimes even impose an ultimatum) and want you to stop dancing before you’re ready. I admit, there’s a hint of nobility in these men, but they have to realize quitting is something a girl does on her own when she’s ready and prepared. Albeit, sometimes the dancer truly is ready. But if she’s not and she does quit, she will resent him if she feels like she’s losing more than she is gaining.

My current on and off relationship is with a man of category 3. I’ve cut back working so much I screwed myself over, just to keep him comfortable and secure. I now recognize this, and am back to work, regardless of how he feels. I am, however, ready to quit, hence this blog. Just easing the transition…
My boyfriend before that was a strange combination of categories 1 and 3. Our relationship lacked any intimacy, and he held my dancing accountable. He, like many, had no problem in the beginning but eventually became insecure and distant. He tried to get me to quit, with no direction or back up plan, when we were together, but in retrospect, he took a lot more from me than he ever gave.
Yes, it’s not at all easy dating when you’re in this business. I guess it doesn’t help that we deal with men the way we do for a living. We learn so much about them: their fantasies, their vulnerabilities, their weaknesses and their perversions. That’s not to say that no dancer has a good man. I’m sure many do.
I’m just still searching for mine.

2 comments:

  1. Never settle for the first job you are offered just because it's the first job you are offered. It's not being picky. It's being prudent. Trust your instinct on that one. If you sign on anywhere, you are liable to spend some time there. If it wasn't meant to be, you're going to wind up pounding the pavement again anyway. Find the job that feels right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. props on being brave enough to lay your life and situation out to the world in an honest way. The most important thing is you have a good sense of who you are and what feels right to you. don't ever underestimate your abilities and potential for what you can accomplish. Weather it's finding the right career job or the right person in your life give it time. Stay positive.

    ReplyDelete